Thursday 19 June 2008

It's Good To Face Reality

It's good to face reality. For so many years I had one excuse after another why I wasn't losing the weight--"I just had a baby." (now my baby is 10 and people aren't buying it!) "It's water weight." (Ummm. Yeah.) "I don't know why I can't lose it, I don't eat enough to keep a bird alive." (Noone is buying that either).

Bottom line. It's time. It's time to face up to the fact that you are 39, and 265 lbs. That's right, I said 265. For at least 5 years I had no clue what I weighed. That was a part of not facing reality. If I knew then I would have to do something about it. I would have to admit that I'm obese. I've gotten out of control. I'm absolutely threatening my own life.

Here's what got me to this point. I have a heart murmur. I've known about it now for 13 years. There isn't an excuse anymore for making my heart work harder and making my life shorter. I love my life. I have an amazing husband. I have incredible children. I want to see them grow up, I want to have that empty nest with my husband. I want to experience grandchildren. These are things that, if I don't start getting serious, I won't have or maybe I'll have them but I won't be able to enjoy them because I'll be sick. I could easily become a burden to the people I would willingly give everything for. Not a pretty picture.

So, here it is. Time to face reality. I have 3 really amazing friends who made me face it. They love me. They want what's best for me. They forced me to the gym and sat there with me when the doctor weighed me and measured me. It was absolutely one of the scariest things I've done. I couldn't hide anymore. It was there, slapping me in the face. 265. Time to get serious.

There are things I will do to lose this weight:

1. I'm working out at least 4 mornings a week at the gym. I do cardio and strength training. It's important to do both.

2. I'm starting to eat a low-fat, low-carb diet and I'm trying to watch my calories. More about that later.

3. I'm going to journal my journey. That's what this is for. I want to be able to see the process.

4. I'm going to start regularly doing something for me. Moms don't take care of themselves enough. I became a martyr to my family. Why do I feel like that makes me a better person because I give up stuff for my family? That's going to take some journaling!

5. I'm going to get enough rest, and I'm going to drink a lot of water. More on that later, too.


Is this going to be easy? If it was, I would have done this years ago. I know that it will more than likely be the most difficult thing I will do. It's not just the weight. It's why I allowed it to get to this point. That's the journey. Let's see where it goes!

3 comments:

C said...

Go, Dayle, go!!

I'm linking you on my blog and cheering wildly.

Anonymous said...

Found you from the WTM board-Congrats! I too was totally encouraged by Quiver's post. I too started my journey to a healthier me at 265-down to 233 today. :) This is encouraging me to keep going! Thanks.
Leah

Mom2legomaniacs said...

I am really proud of you! It is vital that you take care of yourself. I will cheer you, girl! GO DAYLE!!!

melissa