Thursday 19 June 2008

Water, Water Water

Someone recently e-mailed me this:

WATER

#1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated. (Likely applies to half the world population.)

#2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is mistaken for hunger.

#3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's metabolism to 3%.

#4. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study.

#5. Lack of water, the number 1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

#6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.

#7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic maths, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.

#8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%., and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.

Are you drinking the amount of water you should drink every day?


I'm not sure where this particular article comes from, it wasn't documented when I got it, but, even if it's schewed a little, it's still sobering to realize the importance of water. Right now, when I'm hungry, the first thing I do is drink a glass of water. Icy cold water. It's helping me as an appetite suppressant. A lot of times, I'm not hungry anymore after drinking.

When the doctor at the gym was examining me, he said that I don't drink enough water. Now, I live about 5,000 ft. up in the mountains. Dehydration is common here. I do drink at least 6-8 glasses a day. But, that wasn't enough for me personally. I'm really overweight. My metabolism is barely functioning because I've abused my body for about 15 years now. I need more water. So I've upped it! I now drink at least 10 glasses a day. I choose water over anything else to drink. I only allow myself a diet soda (or pop if your from MN like me!) 2-3 times a week as a treat. That's it. Other than fat-free milk, limonada con soda (recipe to follow), or fresh-squeezed juice, I drink water.

Here's a recipe for Limonada con soda (lemonade with soda):

Squeeze the juice of 1-2 lemons (depending on how tart you like it, I like it tart!)

add about 2 Tbsp. of simple syrup (1c. water and 1c. sugar cooked together on the stove top, seal in a container and keep in the refrigerator)

fill the glass with soda water (my glass is about 12 oz.)

Sometimes, I crush ice in the blender and add the lemonade mixture over the crushed ice! YUM!

Anyway, just a post on why water is so important! Make sure you're drinking your share!


PS. About the picture below, how sad is that? It's the only picture I have of me right now. I'm, understandably, a little camera-shy. More to come!

1 comment:

Katy said...

I love the Crystal Light Hydration. If you can't get it there, let me know. I'll send you some!

Katy (Rich with kids)